Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Madbum? One-pitch ... One-hit Wonder-ment. World Series 2014 Yoooo!


It took Madison Bumgarner one pitch to shock me.

Game 5.  First toss of the game and the first ever I’d seen of this World Series made me take quick notice.  I’d brushed off watching any more baseball once the Tigers were swept out by the Orioles … I’d sworn off San Fran ever since those Barry Bonds fiasco days and sort of waved my hand over Kansas City ever since Sweeney – I think it was Sweeney – got into a tussle with the whole team because of – who was it? – Weaver? – I think it was Weaver.  Can’t even remember anymore, it’s been so long, but one thing’s for sure: It looks like I’ve been missing out on some tremendous talent.

            One pitch and I exhaled: “Wow.  That guy can throw.”

            Second toss and I couldn’t concentrate on bar trivia anymore, asking “Who is THAT?”

            Third toss and KC gets a hit but I’m not mad at the SF pitcher.  That hit was psycho good.

            I do declare, this became the first World Series in I don’t know how many years that made me want to watch the game itself again – despite whether they’re MY team or not.  The by-gone (finally and hopefully) junk about steroids or wild trades or mega salaries or non-baseball issues in general are no longer the major-most cloud blocking out the series - of course not yet the entire sport - itself.  It wasn’t that the teams before were bad … it’s just that there was so much behind-the-scene drama that made fans like me wonder, in not the greatest way, what we were watching. And ... gee ... um ... San Fran's almost always in it, so, I just couldn't look anymore! But looking up at the TV during trivia and ...

            ... there you are baseball.  You hooked me again.  I don’t believe this, but I am pumped for the game tonight.  I’m not rooting for either team … or in it for “fantasy” funds … I’m just aimin’ to watch some players play on an age-old diamond dream. (Although, something tells me my dad would want me to lean heavily towards a Kansas City win ...) And according to some pitching stats I've seen of who's next ... outside of SF's momentum, it's lookin' Royally good.  But, no one really knows ... and that's fantastic to me.

            One awesome pitch. One phenomenal hit. One very happy fan of the game rebirthed … and ready to hit up her pastime and pitch the past in the “that nasty part of baseball don’t live here no more” glovebox. It's anyone's game! 

No comments:

Post a Comment